Gracelessly - But Still!


Here I am again at the airport in Manila, waiting to fly back to Singapore for a visit.

Being here again reminds me of the times I have been here before. The first, while on the way home for a visit after my first 6 months in Manila living with the sisters -- a time of much fear and struggle as I found myself bereft of all the externals that had seemed to make up my life before. The second, a year later, on the way to start my novitiate in Indonesia -- a more hopeful time when I was sad to leave the roots I had begun to grow here, but looking forward to a new adventure.

The airport has changed. Back on my first visit it had just been ranked the worst airport in the world, but now this terminal has undergone a facelift. While the outside still looks the same, the inside is now modern and bright.

I can't help but think that it is a metaphor for my own changing -- inside. I haven't had many of the common external milestones by which to measure progress -- a job promotion, a degree earned, a new baby -- but every time I step through these now-familiar doors (and security scanners!), I feel myself a little more free inside, a little more open to Love.


At times like these
I feel a little tingle of intuition
At the back of my mind
Or is it deep in my gut?
And it whispers:

If only you had a grain of understanding
Of the grace, and the glory
That holds you in being
And the whole universe;
That gathers up all the joy and the pain
And turns it into life, and more life --
You would dance lightly through the world,
The delight in your heart
Bubbling up in unquenchable laughter.

But till that blessed moment
I will keep putting
One foot in front of the other,
Following the gentle voice that calls me
Through hills and valleys,
Airports and slums

Gracelessly -- but still!



Note: This post was written some months ago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building Meaningful Community

Living Liminal Space

A Love that Believes: Happy Fathers' Day