Finally I Realise: That Life is Not a River


This poem was penned by Agustina Hartini, an FCJ sister living and teaching in Ende, Flores (Indonesia), and translated by Audrey.


 Finally I realise: that life is not like a river
Bringing water continually to lower ground, flowing and flowing.
It is actually a climb: the higher you climb,
The stronger the wind, the colder the air –
But at dawn, beauty without compare.
As I climb,
I search for your banner
I measure the length and breadth of your path
I guess at the colour of your clothes
I count the number of your followers –
And I find nothing, other than your footprints.

*****

Akhirnya aku tersadar, bahwa hidup tidak seperti sungai
yang terus membawa air ke tempat yang rendah, mengalir dan mengalir saja.
Ternyata hidup adalah pendakian, semakin tinggi mendaki,
semakin terasa angin menerpa, semakin dingin terasa,
namun diawal hari ditemukan keindahan tiada tara.
Dalam pendakian ini,
Aku mencari bendera panjimu
Aku mengukur lebar dan panjangnya jalanmu
Aku mengira-ira warna bajumu
Aku menghitung hitung berapa pengikutmu,
Dan aku tidak menemukan apapun selain jejak kakimu.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building Meaningful Community

Living Liminal Space

A Love that Believes: Happy Fathers' Day