To Be Humble – And Not Know It!


Our guest writer this week is Afra.

One day a friend said to us jokingly, “You know…I am a humble person.”  Another friend added spontaneously, “…and proud of it!”  Hearing this, all of us roared in laughter.  Such is the paradox: how come you claim to be humble yet at the same time be proud (or boastful) about it?

That piece of conversation stayed deep within me.  There is truth in it: when it comes to be that I am proud to be humble, I am not humble anymore then.  So, how can I have a humble heart?

I remember a story about a saint who, when he was given the gift of miracles, chose that he might do a great deal of good without ever knowing it.  And it was granted.  His shadow had the power to cure disease, soothe pain and comfort sorrow.  Wherever he went, people walked behind him or waited for his shadow and they were healed. What a grace to be able to ask that!

I don’t think I am near to being a humble person yet. I know that I am still struggling to live it.

My daily prayer now is: “Lord, grant me humility, and let me not know it.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building Meaningful Community

Living Liminal Space

A Love that Believes: Happy Fathers' Day